We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

For The Love of Rocks (an early literacy adventure)

Im not one to worry about letters and numbers (especially at age 2), and I would never "force" learning - but if a teachable moment presents itself during child guided play - then, why not?!  :) 

In true child-like form, my son LOVES rocks!  We throw them, skip them, catch them, splash them, and yes - learn with them.  He initiated this activity this morning.  It began as simple play:  lining up the rocks, making "tracks" with the Agate slices, and forming shapes.  I sat beside him, initially observing quietly and then tracking his play from time to time.  During a struggle to fit ALL of the rocks into his circle, he invited me to play with a - "Mommy, I need some help".  After creating the circle, I casually mentioned that it also resembled the letter 'O'.  He immediately swished my letter 'O' into oblivion and then asked "where did your letter O go?" - with a giggle.  Ah.....a game!!  We spent the next half hour creating letters from rocks and then swishing them away - always followed by a "where did your letter __ go" and a "do another one, Mommy" (with lots of laughs).  I also started adding his light table letters as comparison.  What a fun game!  Its amazing what simple play can lead to. 

- AK
MESE, MECD

 This was his initial play.  Making "tracks", lines, shapes, etc.

 He said my chai needed to be in the middles - so he could "see what it looks like in the rocks".  LOL
 Letter I
 Letter O
Letter P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...