We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Mirrors, Sand, and Symmetry



Last year my mother bought a butterfly kit for my son from Insect Lore.  Unfortunately, the live caterpillars did not survive.  We recently purchased a new batch - perfect for a spring/summer project.  The entire experience was a huge hit!  We checked out books from the library, watched short videos about the life cycle of a butterfly, and took advantage of opportunities to play, create, and explore.  Once the butterflies emerged, we talked about symmetry.....which led to this fun activity.  I don't have a lot of pictures because it was pretty spontaneous - as the activity tray was already conveniently full of sand and held the mirrors as well.

Using the activity tray with mirrors, I showed him how to draw half of a butterfly in order to create reflected symmetry.  Then he tried.....




My son's butterfly....quite impressive considering he rarely to never draws....ever!


"Mommy, I need to draw the caterpillar in the chrysalis, too."


He drew a sun, too!


The fun continued and has been revisited since (sorry, no pics)....drawing shapes, clouds, rockets, and a flying ladybug.

**Colored sand can be purchased on amazon or in the craft section of Michaels craft store.**





- AK (MESE, MECD)

2 comments:

  1. genius! I love taking paint (acrylic, fabric paint, etc.), putting it one side of paper and folding it together. It always makes neat designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/blogs/Craft-Corner/Clinton-Craft-Corner-Layered-Sand-Art-Craft

    To saw this the other day on the chew. Then read your post and thought that I had to show you this!!! I love when things line up together. : ). Ps I LOVE your blog,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...